Installing a metal roof

Old 07-06-00, 11:50 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I would like to install a metal roof on my 1940's 1200 sq ft home. Where can I find instructions on how to do this? Also, what is the best type of metal roof for a limited budget? Approx. how much can I expect to spend on materials?

Will the project be a nightmare or something doable with several willing helpers?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-00, 09:07 PM
Visiting Guest
There are several different types of metal roofing available, and the cost varies. Whether the project is DIY or best left to a pro depends on a lot of things. The slope of the roof? The abilities and experience of your helpers? How simple or complicated is the roof line? Take a sketch of your roof line to a metal roofing supplier and ask him the questions you posed here. He should be able to clear things up for you. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BarbaraEllen:
I would like to install a metal roof on my 1940's 1200 sq ft home. Where can I find instructions on how to do this? Also, what is the best type of metal roof for a limited budget? Approx. how much can I expect to spend on materials?

Will the project be a nightmare or something doable with several willing helpers?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 07-07-00, 09:35 AM
Visiting Guest
I recently built a barn/garage and put a metal roof on the center section which is 16 feet by 32 feet. We used roof trusses with a 9:12 pitch set 4' OC with horizontal 2X4 purlins at 2' OC. The metal roofing went right on top of the purlins.

We used painted steel "AG Panel" type metal. It comes in 38" wide sheets (36" coverage) and can be ordered to length (ours were 12 feet). (From Home Depot). The ridge has a ridge cap also painted steel from the same company. There is also gable-end flashing. The sheets attach to the purlins with screws that have neoprene washers (also from the manufacturer).

It was pretty easy to put up. We had a lightweight guy who is NOT afraid of heights up on the purlins screwing the panels down (the ridge is 26' above the ground). One guy handed the panels up to a guy on scafolding at the eave who slid the panel up on the roof and the third guy screwed them down.

The whole thing was done in less than a day.

Total materials cost was about what it would have been for shingles considering that for shingles I would have had to have more trusses and replace the purlins with sheathing or put the sheathing on the purlins. It went up a lot quicker than shingles, though.

Best of luck.

Bill

Old 07-10-00, 02:00 PM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Thank you very much for your replies. I now know where to start and have a sense of the project's complexity.