new roof or stay with old?

Old 07-12-00, 04:39 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

we are remodeling an older, story and a half home. we woulld like to add a bathroom upstairs, but the configuration of the two roofs doesn't allow much room for this. The roof needs repairs, and the ceilings in the upstairs need to be drywalled yet. would it benefit us to change the roof type (like to a hip roof) to gain space, or would this be an expensive endeavor with hardly any advantages?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-12-00, 01:32 PM
Visiting Guest
If you are like most people except Lefty you do not have money to burn. I am sure you could put yours to better use then a hip roof. Very costly project. Now before you sheetrock your ceilings upstairs, make sure you have good shingles on your existing roof.

Old 07-14-00, 08:14 PM
Visiting Guest
"...would this be an expensive endeavor...? This would. Even I don't have that kind of money to burn, regardless of what Jack tells you!!

Old 07-15-00, 09:50 AM
Visiting Guest
I don't know where a hip roof would buy you any more room. Changing from regular ceiling joists to vaulted or cathedral "might" help.

Make sure the roof is complete before undergoing any interior work. All will be a wasted effort if it were to rain on your big parade!

More than a Carpenter
http://www.carpenter.cjb.net