roof / balcony repair

Old 04-11-03, 05:22 AM
jkat61
Visiting Guest
Question roof / balcony repair

I have a 1910 house with a full front porch. There is a basement under the porch, tongue & groove flooring. The roof is also a balcony that does not have a roof. Now my problem. The roof/balcony is leaking the roofing material needs to be something that can double as a floor also for the balcony. Can anyone tell me what I need to put on my roof? I will also be installing ballasters as the old ones rotted off years ago.

Old 04-11-03, 07:42 AM
spolsen
Visiting Guest
To be most cost effective and use a very pliable product, I would use a product called Rubberoid manufacted by GAF. It is installed by a propane torch and should ONLY be installed by a professional. I am assuming that your old roof is tin.
The tin would have to be stripped and some siding would have to be take down. Then a fiberglass base sheet(also GAF) would have to be naild down using tin tabs. It goes along the roof and up any walls to protect the warranty and from fire. Then the rubber is laid out, precut, and installed...That's how I would do my house>>>>

Old 04-11-03, 08:15 AM
jkat61
Visiting Guest
I just took off approx. 5 layers of asphalt sheeting and melted tar from the roof. I will have to replace some of the joists as well. The roof surface is 1x10's with gaps between them.

Old 04-11-03, 03:44 PM
spolsen
Visiting Guest
There is also another product that is made by Goodyear. It comes in various widths but is expensive. You would have to screw down insul-board and glue the product down. One of my coworkers bought some for a fish pond. I think it comes in widths like 40feet, 100 feet, ect... for schools, shopping malls. You screw the insulation board down, then prefit the rubber product. Pull it back to prepare to glue 1/2 of the roof. Then the glue is applied with a paint roller and has a specific setup time.The slowly slide the rubber over the glue working out any air pockets as you go. Trim to fit. That's just a quickie---hope it helps...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: