Sheathing

Old 07-06-00, 09:40 PM
Visiting Guest
I am going to tear off my old cedar shakes and install asphalt shingles. I would like to leave the 1 by 6 slats and cover the whole roof with 1/2" cdx but there is one problem. The existing plywood over the eaves is only 1/2", this leaves me with a 1/4" difference where the two meet. I need to know if this will be a problem or should I tear off the 1 by 6's and install 1/2" plywood in thier place? If I do have to tear off the slats is there going to be a problem with the seams of plywood lining up where the new plywood meets the old( a seam running from the eaves to the ridge).By the way I am going to start tomarrow so any replies will be greatly appreciated!!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-00, 04:12 AM
Visiting Guest
You have to tear off the slats. Now if you have to add sheeting that is how it is. You may have to make a few cuts, to offset the joints but that is ok.

Old 07-07-00, 05:18 PM
Visiting Guest
I don't understand why you recommend I remove the slats when the advice to Voth below was to leave them. The roofer at work said it was OK to nail the plywood through the one by sixes using 10 penny nails and the 1/4" differenceat the eaves was not a problem. I believe this is how other houses in the neighborhood have been done. I am not a roofer so I don't know I just don't want to make the job harder then it has to.

Old 07-07-00, 08:01 PM
Visiting Guest
The 1 X 6 skip sheathing should run at the same level from the ridge to the facia board. If the 1/4" difference is due to the 1/4" ply that was installed in the soffits, you could probably just remove the skip sheathing over the soffits and replace that with 1/2" plywood, the add your sheathing over the top of everything. It should come out at the same level.

Old 07-15-00, 10:07 AM
Visiting Guest
Metal drip edge should cover 1/4" difference sufficient to not worry about it.

I've donethis job numerous times. Go with your plan. A nail gun shooting 2 3/8" ringshank nails would make the project fly buy, rather than hand nail the whole roof deck.

Use a pneumatic roofing nailer to put the shingles down too.

More than a Carpenter
http://www.carpenter.cjb.net