Adding an overhang

Old 07-05-00, 11:42 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I want to add an overhang to my existing roof. There are 4 peaks (2 ends + 2 dormers) on the house that end at the edge of the house and I'd like to extend the roof approx. 10-12 inches. I think this will look better and protect the sides of the house. How would I go about adding this?

Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-00, 07:32 PM
Visiting Guest
Are you saying you want to add 12 inches to the existing roof of your house on all four sides ? Please reply

Old 07-06-00, 05:03 AM
Visiting Guest
Well, I'm not sure whether I'll do all four sides or just the front peak of the house, but yes, I want to add 10-12 inches to the existing roof.

Old 07-06-00, 09:15 PM
Visiting Guest
That's a pretty major project. The overhang has to be cantilevered out from several feet back into the existing roof, and the sheathing pattern would need to be altered even farther back. Something like this is best done when you are reroofing and the entire structure will be exposed. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by WilJ:
Well, I'm not sure whether I'll do all four sides or just the front peak of the house, but yes, I want to add 10-12 inches to the existing roof.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Old 07-07-00, 04:09 AM
Visiting Guest
If you want to spend money, this is sure the way to do it. Like Lefty said, this is major work. Alot of it. You would start by tearing off your existing roof 4 feet back from the edge, right down to the rafters, then extending the rafters out 1 foot, then
resheet everything, then reroof everything.
And spend alot of of money in the meantime.
I have not even mentioned new soffits, new fascia, splicing the new shingles into the old ones, new gutters, permits, etc. Your looking at about a $100 a square foot job.

Old 07-17-00, 04:20 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the responses! The whole roof is being done anyway, so it would just be a matter of doing the extra steps you mentioned.