Continuous roof vent might be leaking

Old 07-25-00, 07:29 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

A bad thunderstorm came through town with high winds and lots of rain. My home is less than one year old. I have continuous ridge vents. After the storm, a wet spot appeared on my living room ceiling. By the time I discovered the problem, the leak had stopped. I could not determine where the leak came from, but I suspect that it came throught the continuous ridge vent. Are these things prone to leak during high winds and rain? Isn't the vent designed with a lip or ridge to prevent water from running up the roof into the vent? Is is possible that a section of the vent lifted up a little bit as a result of the wind, resulting in the rain blowing in under the vent? Shouldn't there be some sort of caulking or seal under the vent? The builder has refused to inspect the vent, although my insurance adjuster will. Any suggestions?

Old 07-25-00, 04:29 PM
Visiting Guest
Your problem explains very well why some people choose not to use this kind of roof vent.

The vent is just a mesh product that allows air flow through it. It allows other things, like you've described, as well.

More than a Carpenter
http://www.carpenter.cjb.net

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: