Found a leak, need pointers

Old 04-13-03, 10:51 PM
M
mcm
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Found a leak, need pointers

It's been raining non-stop for the past 3 days, so today I was organising some storage in the basement and I noticed a damp spot wayyy up in a corner under a wall, so I proceeded to inspect the attic and I found this:

It's directly under a valley on the roof. I placed a small fan up there and put some newspaper down. The rain has ceased for the moment but more is forecast for the coming week. Can anyone give me an idea as to how bad this is for the supporting lumbar involved? And what's the best way to go about locating the exact source of the problem on the top side of the roof? Do I need to pull up all of the valley shingles or can I simply cement down everything on or near the valley and hope for the best (entire roof is going to be replaced in the next year or two anyway.)

Old 04-13-03, 10:53 PM
M
mcm
Let me know if that image works or not.. damn imagestation...

Old 04-14-03, 03:45 PM
spolsen
Visiting Guest
Hi ,
I'm a roofer by trade. Picture came out good. I just copied and pasted in the address. Find the highest point of water penatration and take a picture on the opposite side with about a 6 foot span. It could be just something simple. I'll try to help you out the best I can. Steve

Old 04-14-03, 07:23 PM
M
mcm
I went down to HD on the way home today and picked up some Cold AP roofing cement that can be used in rain and underwater, and some normal stuff. It was a beautiful day today, but surprise surprise, its raining like mad up the hill at my place

Anyway, I put a ladder up and looked over and around the valley in question.

Here's a pic of what I think is the culprit:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...e.jpg.orig.jpg

I filled it up with the Cold AP roofing cement.. lots of it, covered about 10" ahead of the "dent". I suspect this was caused when some branches fell from a tree in front of the house last year (bloody hell, a YEAR ago...) The tree has since been topped.

I also noticed this:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...8.jpg.orig.jpg

Didn't look right to me.. maybe its not such a big deal. I sealed both of them up just to be sure.

Here's another shot, this time showing some nails that weren't cemented right on the ridge:

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/...a.jpg.orig.jpg

I covered these up also.

I'll keep an eye on the drip in the attic later tonight to see if it stops.

Old 04-15-03, 05:13 AM
spolsen
Visiting Guest
I think I noticed that the installer of that roofing system did not keep the seams of the shingles @ least 12" away from the valley. The nail heads @ the top of the caps is just a lack of pride in workmanship. The shingles should be "stepped" in incriments. Then to make them fall in the centerline of the valley, you cut various sizes of shingles (12",24") . If the seams(2 shingles that butt together) are in the valley(a standard dimensional shingle is 12"H and 13 1/4"H south of virginia),it will leak! Also, on the side that goes under the other roof, I think I saw some shingles that lined up seam over seam. Directions to install are on every package of shingles. Hope this helps!!! Let us know

-------------
-----------
---------
-------
------

Old 04-15-03, 01:45 PM
M
mcm
Bugger, I see what you mean about seam over seam on the "right hand" slope. If what was done last night stops this leak for now should I then immediately proceed to replace the entire valley or wait until I can afford to replace the entire roof?

It rained a little last night (as you can see in the pics, it was coming down when I sealed up the dent) and I noticed no drip on the underside, the situation there has certainly improved. I should expect it to be pretty much dry by the time I get home tonight. Supposed to rain tomorrow, so I'll guess we'll see.

What kind of $$$ is involved in the replacement of an entire valley? I'm guessing we're talking about 200 odd sqft of roof surface + all the valley/edge materials. Is this a job a novice (me) can achieve on a sunny day?

Old 04-15-03, 06:13 PM
Nice pictures, I'd say yes you can probably repair this yourself, like Steve says, proper installation methods with diagrams is on the shingle package. And from what I see in the pics, proper methods weren't followed by the last installer. I have a friend that has been inspecting roofs for warranty issues for nearly 20 yrs, according to him 8 out of 10 times, roof failures are caused by improper installation. We follow the maker's guidelines for installation & I can't remember the last time we had to go on a warranty call.

I saw in your orginal post that you plan to have the roof replaced within the next yr or two, that being the case, if the roofing cement has things dried up, I'd think about running a layer all thru the valley bottom, keep an eye on things, but I'd imagine it would hold for a yr.

I know I've patched roofs with it, & gone back 1-2 yrs later and got the reroof job. Mostly because they were so impressed with the leak repair. Just some food for thought.

When you do get ready to hire a roofer, check references and keep in mind the lowest bid isn't usually the best deal. Good luck.

Old 04-15-03, 07:01 PM
M
mcm
Thanks for the advice!

Old 04-15-03, 07:14 PM
da nada, stop by anytime, it's always worth the price charged around here.

Old 04-17-03, 09:09 PM
M
mcm
Well I'm in the middle of a downpour right now and things are holding up well, no water at all on the underside of the roof. Looks like the patch job worked.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: