What to buy?

Old 08-09-00, 04:10 PM
G
Visiting Guest
Question

I need to replace my very simple roof on a small 2 bedroom bungalow. I live in Michigan and I really don't know anything about roofing materials. What brand of shingles and underlayment do you recommend. I have 3 quotes and all of them are different products. The house is 850 square feet and the estimate to remove, replace and repair are from $2200 to $2900. HELP!!!!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-00, 06:01 PM
G
Visiting Guest
Cool

I have no idea what roofing costs in Michigan, but down here in NC, a 15-year (least expensive roofing job) costs about $70 a square. You need to know how many squares (10' X 10' = 100 sq ft) that you need to do your roof, and then compare apples to apples. Your roof needs to be measured, not your floor plan. It is cheaper to re-roof over existing shingles, but I would not do that unless you are going to sell your home in the near future. It is better to have the old roof taken off, and then re-roof. Good Luck!

Old 08-10-00, 03:26 AM
G
Visiting Guest
You want 225 lb, 3 tab shingles, 30# felt, with roof seal along your eves. Take off the old shingles. The price around $2200 to $2400 is just about right. Do not take the cheapest bid. You also want your shingles, nailed down, not stapled. Use 2" nails. Also new roof trim and gutter trim.