New Shingles Turning Brown

Old 08-12-00, 02:34 PM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

After a month of extremely hard work my sister and I finally finished roofing my mothers house. We are both college students and decided to spend the summer building her a new roof to help avoid the huge costs of hiring a contractor. I can honestly say we did quality work. The new sheeting was awful to put on but we figured it out. The shingles square up at the eaves and ridge. The flashing looks good. Overall the new roof looks great except for one thing. The shingles are already turning brown!!! We bought Sentinel 25 year silver tinting(basically white) shingles from Home Depot. We purchased all our materials from Home Depot. After just one month the shingles already look old. It appears that the adhesive tar material that holds down each shingle is starting to get sucked up into the shingles and and discolor them. Is there anything we can do at all? Its heartbreaking to put so much effort into something only to have it look bad. We used 7/16 OSB sheeting spaced properly and 15 weight felt over the entire roof so I don't think the heat from the attic would be killing the shingles already. Is this a manufacter's defect? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 08-13-00, 02:08 PM
Visiting Guest
It is really hard to answer your question, but here is what I would do. I would call a reliable roofer. When you call him, just tell him you want him to look at a roof. When he gets there, have your ladder up, and ask him to look at the shingles and see if he can tell you what is wrong. Ask him why they are changing color. don't give him any more info. A good roofer will be able to tell you right away. Sounds like you did a good job.

Old 08-13-00, 08:39 PM
Visiting Guest
Is it turning brown uniformly, or just in certain areas? Is it possible that the brown areas are where the shingles have been "scuffed" up? When you linger too long on a warm shingle, the granules scuff or rub off and leave unsighly brown scars. This is most notable on light colored shingles.

More than a Carpenter

http://www.carpenter.cjb.net

Old 08-13-00, 11:04 PM
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the info. I probably will contact a roofer. As for scuffing them up, we purposely backed up the entire roof so as not to scuff them. Its frustrating..

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: