decking, gaps, higher grade shingles?

Old 04-16-03, 11:39 AM
eriktimmer
Visiting Guest
decking, gaps, higher grade shingles?

I just bought a house that needs a new roof. I got some estimates from local contractors for replacing (I'm considering this as a DIY project, but wanted to get the experts to look at it first before I even give it a shot and I needed the estimates for house negotiation).

Anyhow, the roof has 3 layers on it and needs a complete tear off. There were cedar shake shingles on it at one point, so there are some gaps between the boards.

Because of these gaps, one contractor recommended putting down new plywood (cost around 1800--mostly for their labor, I presume). Another recommended going with a higher grade, 40 year shingle and not redecking. The cost for 'upgrading' the shingle only increases the cost by around 900--so the upgraded shingle route is cheaper than redecking.

The gaps that are higher up, near the peak of the attic are around .5 to .75 of an inch. Along the side of the house (above the eaves), they are larger (approx 1.25 to 1.5 inch).

What I wanted to ask you all is this. Are there obvious disadvantages to the less expensive shingle route? I've seen a few messages on this board that say that this is a pretty standard thing, but others say that if there are gaps, you must redeck.

Any advice would be sincerely appreciated.

Old 04-16-03, 04:08 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If the gaps in the decking aren't any bigger than you're describing, I'd say you could go with a simply tear off & reroof, if that's what you choose to do. Personally, I'd put a fresh layer of decking down. In my area we use 1/2" osb usually, it's generally cheaper than plywood by about 25%. However when you start tearing it off you may find that there are much larger gaps, it this is the case, I'd would definitely go with the new decking.

Another thing to consider is the warranty on the shingles, some manufacturers will not honor a warranty on an installation, such as you're proposing.

As to doing this yourself, the hardest part of the job IMO is getting your new material to the roof. Myself, I only buy shingles from a local wholesaler that delivers the shingles to the roof. Other than that, all shingle makers have good install directions on their packaging. I'd do the roof in sections that are managable, so you can get it tore off & reshingled within a day or two. And keep an eye on the weather forecast.

Good luck with the roof.

Old 04-21-03, 06:47 PM
eriktimmer
Visiting Guest
awesomedell,

Thanks a million times over for the advice. I'm going to look further into the manufacturer's warranty before messing something up unintentionally.

Also, thanks for the advice about the roof deliver. I was all prepped to carry the stuff up there myself. Actually, now that I've gotten to thinking more closely about this, I'm reconsidering doing it myself. I think that I might make my contribution to the local economy by hiring a contractor.

But, your message gives me some good ideas about what to ask the roofers to make sure that I don't end up with a no warranty roof.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: