Workmanship warranty

Old 04-18-03, 07:03 AM
josecori
Visiting Guest
Arrow Workmanship warranty

Hi
Could anyone define exactly what a workmanship warranty is?

I need clarifiaction in a situation I'm in

Thanks for your help

Corissa

Old 04-18-03, 05:30 PM
spolsen
Visiting Guest
Proper installation by the installer against failure(the installer should take care of all costs within that timeframe).

Old 04-18-03, 07:04 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
There is no hard and fast rule for your question. Each question has to stand on its own merits. Now if you new roof leaks, then it is probably installation. However this is not always true. above. It may not have been an installation problem.

Last edited by twelvepole; 04-20-03 at 09:30 AM.
Old 04-19-03, 03:29 PM
spolsen
Visiting Guest
A workmanship warranty is to "warrant against defect of workmanship upon a specified time". Sometimes homeowners assume because they buy a 25 year roofing shingle, that the installer warrants it for 25 years. Not the case, though.
Industry standard is a 2-5 year workmanship warranty for roofing(I've seen them as long as 10 years). Now usually a product has a warranty to supplement the workmanship warranty. Like 25 year roofing shingles for example. They carry a 25 year warranty for a SPECIFIED installation. Improper installation may void warranty. On both warranties, uncontrollable disasters could void these warranties. Most contractors spell these out in specific writing.Hope this helps!!!

Last edited by twelvepole; 04-20-03 at 09:31 AM.
Old 04-19-03, 11:07 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
When product defects occur the "workmanship warrantee" does not cover the problem and the homeowner is left to chase down a shingle manufacturer to cover roofing repairs. Even when the installer made the material choice.

Last edited by twelvepole; 04-20-03 at 09:33 AM.
Old 04-20-03, 07:14 AM
josecori
Visiting Guest
I appreciate your comments!

Let me clarify the situation better:
Had our roof done by a company in August of 2000. Tear off, new decking, new vent, ice sheild, etc.
In December we noticed black mold in attic.
Per other roofers(for backup) they all stated roof is bad & toxic and needs to be completely replaced.
We had a 25yr shingle & 5yr workmanship warranty.

Right now I am having major problems with the company that installed the roof, no return calls, etc...

I've filed complaints with the BBB, Attorney General, Il Proff regulations and local villages code enforcement.
From what I am learning, they are in big trouble already with the state.
I'm thinking of pursuing this in small claims court.
I needed some clarification on workmanship warranty to help in building a case.
I hope this helps you guys understand things better. Thanks for your help

Last edited by twelvepole; 04-20-03 at 09:34 AM.
Old 04-20-03, 09:30 AM
spolsen
Visiting Guest
Have you contacted the manufacturer and maybe met with a representative.

Sounds like ice and water shield (a vapor barrior) was applied (maybe to the entire deck)and there is no way for the air to let the moisture out. This will occur when soffit or the baffles in the attic above the top plate are blocked or nonexistant. If this material is applied to the entire surface, the manufacturer recommends so many square feet of ventation per square foot of coverage. Also, what part of the house is the mold in??In that room of the house, what side is it relative to North, South ,East or West?? Mold really thrives on moisture and HEAT(humidity).

Sounds like your contractor should be returning phone calls.

1. Do you have a low sloped roof?
2. Was a vapor barrior applied to the entire surface?
3. Is the roof leaking??
4. Is there soffit vents?
5. Are there foam baffles above the top plate in the attic so the insulation doesn't cut off the air flow?
6. How many feet of ventation do you have??
7.Is the hole under the ventalation really cut open?
8. ***In the room where the mold is, is it a cathedral ceiling?

These are questions that I or the manufacturer would ask. Hope it helps. Let us know!

Old 04-20-03, 11:40 AM
Here are more questions. You said your roof was done in Sept of 2000, and you noticed black on your attic ceiling in Dec. Dec of what year ? Also, when they put down a new deck, did they open up the rafters, or put just put a new deck over the old sub decking ? What kind of material was used for your decking ?
I think I know what the problem is, but also need more info.

Old 04-21-03, 08:28 AM
josecori
Visiting Guest
we saw the mold in dec 2002
We had the bad decking removed completely except a few pieces??
Its over the entire roof, but only on the decking they replaced has the mold.
They now claim we need more vents, but we asked why they didn't mention that from the 1st installation.
As for the felt(?) coverage over they entire roof, I'm not sure, I'd have to have my hubby look.
Its a ranch home, no vaulted ceilings right now. Our house faces the south. The mold is all over the place.
We do have an ice sheild
I'm not sure on some of the other questions, sorry.
Hope this helps a bit & thanks again guys.
Corissa

Old 04-21-03, 04:05 PM
spolsen
Visiting Guest
It sounds to me the either the sheathing had a fungus problem prior to installation or your roof has no ventilation(maybe a circulation problem). Did the roofers really cut a hole for the ridgevent??? Does your dryer vent or bath vent dump int the attic. Trace these questions and I'm sure you will find an answer!!Hope this helps!!!

Old 04-21-03, 05:42 PM
This is what I think happened. The new sheeting had moisture in it as does all sheeting. Now your attic is probably poorly ventilated, so now you have heat, and moisture, and mold and mildew grow. Prime breeding grounds. I have seen this many times over the course of 30 years. I am sorry to tell you, that this is not a roofer problem. It is a home owners problem. The roofer put on a new roof which does not leak. It is not his responsibility to ask to put in more vents, or gable vents or soffitt vents. This is homeowners work. Now, it is possible that there was a mold spore in the wood, but I don't think you could prove it. I would get some vents or gable fans and cool off and dry your attic out, wash the underside of the boards with bleech or white apple cidar vinagar. This will kill the mold and mildew. The cooling off and drying off will keep the mold from returning.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: