Not a gutter, but what is it called??

Old 04-18-03, 05:10 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Question Not a gutter, but what is it called??

The house we used to live in had these strips of metal the stuck up and deflected the water so that it would not run straight off the roof onto places where people would be - stairs, doorways....the military housing we live in now has VERY leaky gutters. Maintenence told me there were nail holes in them, but did not fix it. I would like to suggest to them that if they can't fix the holes in the existing gutters, that they might look into installing the other kind, but I don't remember what they are called. (Kind of ticked at them anyway....the downspout is partially disconnected at the gutter (two stories high) and leaks in such a way that the water hits the curve at the bottom of the downspout. Maintenence told me that it wasn't an emergency and they wouldn't come out to fix it today. Last time it rained, it leaked like this too, and it was SO LOUD that it literally kept me awake all night. Water falling from that height and hitting on hollow metal is incredibly loud. He tried to tell me that there was nothing he could do about it tonight anyway, so I went out and removed the end of the downspout myself. Problem solved for now. How much do I get paid for that service call? ;-)
Old 04-18-03, 05:26 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
You just described exactly what they are. A piece of metal bent on a 90 to divert water where a gutter cannot got or would look "funny". Miss, sounds like maintenence is LAZY, and you just need some gutters!!!
Old 04-18-03, 05:39 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
Thumbs up You got it!

So it isn't something specifically designed for that? The neighborhood we lived in NC had that on the fronts of all the houses, so I thought it was actually something, not just some bent metal. :-) Yes, maintenence is LAZY. The guy on the phone said that the "emergency work order number" is for emergencies only (Duh) but he didn't seem to think that something malfunctioning to the point where a normally silent operation keeping me awake all night from the noise it made was an emergency. But if the shoe were on the other foot...I think that since they don't have to live in these houses, they don't care so much. Thanks, and have a good weekend!
Old 04-18-03, 11:23 PM
Mike Swearingen's Avatar
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: Northeastern NC On The Albemarle Sound
Posts: 10,701
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post

Look for wide metal drip-edge.
You install the drip-edge turned up and slanted at an agle to deflect water running off of a roof above steps, etc.
Drip-edge is normally installed under the edge of roofing, but is also used as a deflector.
Good luck!
Old 04-19-03, 06:04 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

Thanks, I'll tell them to look for that.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: