slate vs. multiple alternatives

Old 04-21-03, 12:40 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
slate vs. multiple alternatives

I have a small section of slate roof in the front of the house. The rest of the roof is low slope and not visible. The slate either needs to be repaired or replaced.

As far as I can tell my options are to hire someone to pull off the slate (saving what can be saved), replace any bad wood, and reattached the slate, with some new slate.

Or, pull off the old slate myself, replace any bad wood, and use a slate alternative, like the new recycled rubber slate look alike products. Does any one have any experience with these products?

Its an old house in an old city and may someday be a historic landmark status. It is not now, but I wouldn't want to preclude that possiblilty in the future.

Old 04-21-03, 03:50 PM
spolsen
Visiting Guest
Alternative :
1. Tear off and new roof with slate (very costly) new copper flashing, ect...
2.Tear off and new roof with a cement product that looks like slate but is more durable and has it's pro's and con's.
3. Tear off and Aluminum standing seam roof very durable but expensive.
4. (MY CHOICE) Tear off and install GAF Slateline fiberglass roofing shingles. Fire RATED, won't split, crack, ect...very durable. Very inexpensive. Look like real slate when installed. Will not take away from home . Alot of banks, schools and historical sites using this, because of the cost effectiveness. Check them out. I'm sure GAF has a web site.
Hope this helps! Let us know!!!

Old 04-22-03, 02:04 PM
A
As susggested, I visited GAF's website and leaned that they are currently settleing a class action lawsuit resulting from the premature failure of many of their shingle products. That makes me nervous.

I don't expect a company to be perfect, but if they won't admit a bad product until after they get sued, that's not a company I want to do business with. Any thoughts?

Old 04-23-03, 07:57 AM
dirkwright
Visiting Guest
I would recommend that you repair your slate roof with used slate. There are companies that sell used slate, and can most likely match yours. If you are handy and not afraid of heights, then you could DIY. If this little bit of roof is 3 storeys up though, I'd hire someone with slate roofing experience. For more information on slate and slate roofs:
http://www.jenkinsslate.com/index.html
He has a book available that appears to be really good. Using slate will preserve the character of your house and add value. Hope this helps.

Old 04-24-03, 05:56 PM
spolsen
Visiting Guest
Like I said, I am a roofer. I would feel comfortable installing GAF slateline shingles. Ask ANY roofer. Gaf sells a good product. I haven't heard of any class action suite. Not to be sarcastic, but WHO does a class action suite benifit??? Don't be a Dummy. It is brought on by a bunch of lawyers(scum bottom sucking),of course!!!In the 80's, it was Johns-manville, in the 90's they sued Owens Corning, now the big manufacturer is GAF. Come on, be for real. I've been installing shingles for over 20 years. It's a good product. I was just trying to give you a senerio of what I would use. Another company I like is Certainteed.

Old 04-25-03, 06:19 AM
M
The website lists shingles manufactured from '84 to '97. I doubt those are still on the shelf at the big box stores.

Old 04-28-03, 10:39 AM
M
As an architect, I prefer real slate. Not knowing the age of your current slate roof, I would assume most pieces would be re-usable. A house nice enough to have slate, should KEEP slate, in my opinion. I have yet to see a "fake slate" that doesn't fade or look phony. I know it costs more, but if the part of town you're in is nice enough to be considered historical, I would DEFINITELY stick with slate. It may cost more, but doing things right usually does.

Old 04-28-03, 08:44 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
I have seen the reused slate put on the visible parts of the house, and the newer slates put on the back. At least the consistency can be maintained.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: