Roof-edge/gutter changes

Old 10-02-00, 04:49 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

We used to have wide, built-in gutters with protruding rafter ends. These gutters were a constant problem (always plugging up and overflowing) and the rafter ends were getting some dry-rot. We removed the old gutters, trimmed the rafter ends back, put on a fascia board, and installed some of the new desbris-free aluminum gutters.

Then we had a roofer replace the lower course or two of asphalt shingles. He matched the color pretty well, but he did NOT fill the gap under these shingles (where the lining of the old guttering, which carried up the roof a ways, had been taken out). The result is that the new shingling has a distinct "swoop" or "swayback" look. In some places this is so pronounced that some rainwater will actually collect in this low spot just next to the edge of the roof rather than flowing down into the new gutters.

This is not cosmetically appealing, and I suspect it is not a good situation for other reasons. HE says, "Ah, don't worry about it!" But then HE doesn't want to redo (or fix) the obviously inadequate job.

Is he corret that this is nothing to worry about? Or do I really have something (other than that it doesn't LOOK very good) to be concerned about? I need ammunition to get him to make this right.

Thanks

Old 10-02-00, 05:22 PM
Visiting Guest
Was this a licensed contractor who did the roofing for you? You have all the "ammunition" you need -- It doesn't look right, and rainwater will collect in the low spots. Call him back to fix the mistakes, or call your State Contractor's Licensing Board and have THEM call him back to fix the mistakes. He'll get the message!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: