Rain Gutters

Old 10-17-00, 01:12 PM
Visiting Guest
I need to replace 5 1/4 fascia gutters and am thinking I could do the Home Depot galvinized iron in 10 foot lengths...BUT
I'm wondering about the joints. Do they still solder the joints together? I remember about 30 years ago using an acid flux, bar solder & I've forgotten how we heated it. Propane torch? Can I use my pop-rivter on the joints? Should I use sheet metal screws?
Also, in painting the galvanized iron, I'd like to come up with a paint scheme that makes it look like copper with patina. Any thoughts on that and how it might be accomplished? Thanks if you can be of help.

Larry Ward

Old 10-17-00, 07:17 PM
Visiting Guest
When you could have continuous gutters INSATLLED for about $3.00 a foot, that have a baked-on enamel finish inside and out, and have no joints that ARE GOING TO LEAK sooner or later, and they would be in place in less than half a day, WHY are you even thinking about doing them yourself?? BTW -- you can paint them however you like afterwards.

Old 10-18-00, 09:55 AM
Visiting Guest
Lefty, thanks for your quick response. I was considering DIY because my lowest bid was $630 for 127 feet. 4 bids range from $1500 down to the $630, but I can't even get the low bidder to call me back. Rain gutter companies in the yellow pages arn't even taking any new business. BUT, you do have me re-thinking this whole "risky scheme". I'm going to check your contactor forum. Thanks for your speedy reply.

Larry Ward

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: