clay over composite?

Old 04-28-03, 08:04 AM
illbebeck
Visiting Guest
clay over composite?

I currently have one layer of composite shingles on my home and I am in the process of putting on a Claylite roof. My roofer asked me if I wanted to remove the existing composite (at an extra price of course). He told me removal was not necessary and was up to me. What are the pros and cons of doing this?

I am in Los Angeles, and the weather has been pretty good, but we have been getting a day here and there of rain. My immediate thoughts were to keep the old roof on in case it rains during the new installation.

Thanks in advance for your help!

MB

Old 04-28-03, 08:41 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
You will reduce the life of the new roof, and may void the warrantee. Spend a little more now for a good job that will last longer. Did you get multiple bids for the reroof? Tearing off the existing should have been an itemized item in the bid, not an extra.

Old 04-28-03, 09:32 PM
illbebeck
Visiting Guest
Yes I had multiple bids. This guy was pretty much the most reasonable, and tearing off was an item, but he said that I could save a little money ($800) if I wanted to put the Claylite shingles over the existing composite.

Since there was only one layer of them, he felt weight wouldn't be an issue, and he told me that I wouldn't even know that the previous roof was there as you wouldn't be able to see it.

Thanks for your reply Jeff!

Old 04-29-03, 05:10 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Overlay roof

An overlay roof may also cover up existing problems that you did not know that you have. Removing old roof is recommended. Should you develop a leak or other problems in the future, you will have to deal with two layers of roofing in resolving your problems.

Old 04-29-03, 06:39 AM
dirkwright
Visiting Guest
In my opinion, it makes no sense to put clay tile roofing over any kind of older roofing. Since the clay tile will outlast you and the house, it makes sense to use top quality materials for the underlayment and the flashing. Since you probably do not have copper flashing and two layers of 30# felt on the roof now, retaining the old stuff is a flash economy. I have read about clay tile outlasting both the copper flashing and the underlayment, so this should give you an idea of the quality you are putting on your roof. Replacing these requires a complete tearoff, so do it right the first time and be happy!

Old 04-29-03, 06:51 AM
illbebeck
Visiting Guest
Looks like I'm ripping off the old roof! Thanks everyone for your help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: