Gap near edge of roof.

Old 04-30-03, 06:09 PM
jdaresta
Visiting Guest
Gap near edge of roof.

I have new minor problem unrelated to work and such I had done recently on my roof. Near the edge (above the soffit) on the corner of where the roof meets the gutter I have a slight gap. I believe this is due to house settlement rather than decking coming up because the decking is not warped. The gap is a little less than half an inch. No water or such is getting into it. However, Bees were starting to build a nest there until I sprayed some nice spray (thank god for that stuff that goes 15ft) to evict them. Anyway, I can get up there with a ladder, but I am wondering the best approach to fix this gap. Will just some caulking of some sort work and then perhaps construction adhesive to glue the felt and shingles down? I don't have a picture of it due to rain here, but I can get one if needed. Thanks in advance.

Old 04-30-03, 06:31 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
On corners like yours it is often difficult to keep the shingles down. This is an area of lots of air or wind circulating and the corners can come up. Have you thought about face nailing the corner down ? If you do not want to do this, get a tube of Black Jack with neopreme. It is black jack with the purple strip on it. Put this under the shingles and felt and press it down. It should do the trick. Good Luck

Old 04-30-03, 06:41 PM
jdaresta
Visiting Guest
I am not sure what you mean by "face nailing" so I guess I have not thought if it. What is that?

Old 05-02-03, 04:21 PM
Face nailing is pounding a roofing nail (2" min) right down through the top of the shingle where it sticks up and nailing it to the roof. The top of the nail shows. That is the face of the nail hence the name. Then you just put a spot of blackjack on it and your done. In many areas of really bad exposed edges to winds, you face nail the whole edge of the house.

Old 05-05-03, 07:21 AM
M
Jack,

Does the roofing cement/tar over the exposed nails need to be reapplied on a periodic basis?

Old 05-05-03, 06:37 PM
jdaresta
Visiting Guest
I'll look and see if I can nail it down. If not, I will use that adhesive you mention. Thanks for the help!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: