Leaky, wet basement

Old 11-06-00, 08:01 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

My basement leaks. I've had B Dry come out and look at it and received a quote of over 7,000. from them. My eaves troughs leak and overflow when it rains, even though they are clean. Could that be the part of the problem? Anything that I can try before I have to sink such a large amount money into the basement?

Old 11-07-00, 02:48 PM
Visiting Guest
When I had this problem I found that a drain running alongsid the basement was restricted causing water to build up, escape through the joints in the pipe and enter the basement through underground brickwork.
Clearing the drain stopped the leak.
Good luck with it.

Old 11-08-00, 05:34 PM
Visiting Guest
I've dealt with water in 2 different homes. In my last house, I had no drainage/sump system and a high water table. It leaked everywhere. I had 100 feet of drainage put in for $2500. The contractor chopped up the concrete around most of the perimeter and installed gravel, drain tubing with a silt sock, a sump hole with a pump, and replaced the concrete. I never had water again and afterwards put in a family room and a bedroom.

My current house has a drainage system but I would still get water in a couple spots. The gutters were plugged and overflowing. I cleaned the gutters and made sure that the ground around the house was all sloped away. I have not had any problems in the 2 years since I did this.

Depending on where you live, that bid of $7000 seems high. I paid $2500 4 years ago - $25/foot. You may want to get more bids. I got 3 bids, and picked the middle bid. The low bid contractor was $500 less, but this guy did not sound like he knew what he was talking about.

Good luck!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: