"spliced" rafters?????

Old 05-04-03, 04:39 AM
lil red hen
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a
"spliced" rafters?????

I am having a room added to my home. There is an L-shaped area off my kitchen and behind a bedroom that I wanted squared off to become a dining area. The tie-in area to the roof is gabled.
The expanse is about 24ft to hit the peak and come out to the end of the room. The carpenter "spliced the 2X6 to make the distance, BUT....To me this looks like it weakens the joint. He cut a v...and... an inverted V and moved the pointed piece into the hollowed out V. Is this standard or is it getting over on a single woman? He came recommended and his rates were very reasonable, but I wonder if he knows what he is doing.
Old 05-04-03, 11:09 AM
awesomedell's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 2,351
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I think I understand what he did & yes it is a proper albeit an older procedure. Did he use a metal tie plate over the splice? That will give it added structural integrity.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: