Soffit & Fascia

Old 05-04-03, 04:55 AM
NAME2
Visiting Guest
Soffit & Fascia

I NEED TO KNOW IF THERE IS ANY INFORMATION OUT THERE ON HOW TO CORRECTLY INSTALL SOFFIT AND FASCIA WHERE OPEN RAFTERS EXIST. ALSO WHERE MY RAFTERS COME THROUGH THE SIDE OF MY HOUSE, THERE IS NO OPENING FOR AIR FLOW. THEY ARE CLOSED IN BY WEATHER BOARDS. SHOULD I CUT HOLES TO VENTILATE.

Old 05-04-03, 11:24 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hello & welcome aboard. This page will answer some of your soffit questions,

http://doityourself.com/roofing/rfsoffits.htm

As for the soffet vent question, what other ventilation does the roof have? Gable vents, ridgevent, box vents, whirlybirds? A bit more info is needed to properly advise you.

Old 05-04-03, 05:44 PM
NAME2
Visiting Guest
video(soffit & fascia)

Thanks for the speedy reply. I tried to view the URL you sent me already; but there is an advertisement blocking a lot of the information. I can't seem to move it to read the whole article. The video advertised entitled "shop for garages". Do you think it would be helpful with my soffit and fascia issue? This video is on the same page with the article. Thanks again for any info you may be able to give me.

Old 05-04-03, 06:54 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Here is the text from that page

Roofing - Soffits
Intro - Trusses - Layout - Framing - Sheathing - Soffits - Felt - Shingles - Checklist
Most Common Mistakes:

1. Rafter tails (ends) not in a perfectly straight line.

Construction:

1. For those of you with an overhang to your roof line, you'll want to apply a flat soffit to the underside of the overhang. Begin by snapping a level chalk line on the wall around the entire building. The chalk-line should correspond to the height of the bottom end of the rafter tails. This will be the guideline to which you will attach the 1 x 4 ledger board.
2. Attach the ledger board with 16d HDG nails. The bottom of the ledger should be on the chalk line.
3. Nail 2 x 4's level from the rafter tails, toe-nailed into the ledger board to create a frame at 24 inches on center. (Joist hangers can also be used to attach the 2 x 4's to the ledger)
4. Measure and cut exterior grade plywood to the width of the soffit and nail it to the framing with 8d HDG nails.
5. Nail a 1 x 6 facia board to seal and trim the end grain of the rafter tails.
6. A crown molding added on top of the facia will dress up the facia but should be attached so it will line up smoothly with the slope of the roof. To accomplish this smoothly, place a straight edge down the slope of the roof overhanging the eave. Butt the crown molding up against the straight edge and nail it into place with finishing nails.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: