another leaking roof

Old 11-08-00, 08:15 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I've checked all 12 pages of roofing forums and couldn't find anything on fixing/patching roofs from the inside. It looks like I purchased a home in San Diego, CA. "looks like" only because I have to get financed….. property is in "as is" condition, roof - cedar shakes is about 20 years old and in some places has missing shakes and leaking into the attic. Is there any way I can "temporarily" patch the holes from the inside? It seems that if I try to do it from the top, I could miss some holes, plus it is more dangerous from the "do it to yourselfer" point of view. Please help with ideas/suggestions, will gratefully appreciate it.
Thanks

Old 11-09-00, 08:08 PM
Visiting Guest
Patching a roof from the inside won't work. That's probably why you couldn't fine anything in 12 forum pages on the subject.

Since this shake roof is about 20 years old, I would not even consider trying to patch it. Chances are that if you get on the roof to repair a leak, your walking on it will cause a dozen or so other leaks. I suggest that you simply reroof the house and be time and money ahead.

Old 11-10-00, 03:47 AM
Visiting Guest
Lefty is correct. You can't fix it from the inside. Your best option is re-roofing. Sorry about that. That is one reason the house is being sold "as is" Probably alot more things need fixing also.

Old 11-10-00, 11:07 PM
Visiting Guest
mik_mik, if you bought a house in CA "as is" and "have to get financed", good luck pal. I DO hope you have a rich uncle, because I doubt that you will find a legit lending institution that will touch it!

Old 11-11-00, 06:31 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thanks a lot guys, you are both right, hose does need a lot of other work and lenders are obviously scared of that thing. But I am still hopeful because if not this one there is not much of anything else I can afford. Thanks again for all your help. As long as we are on the subject of reproofing, could you please recommend what is the best roofing material for southern CA, I am assuming light wt. tile will look good but will probably brakes easily.
Thanks again for all your help.
Mik_mik

Old 11-12-00, 06:11 PM
Visiting Guest
Either 3-tab or laminated /arch composite shingles nailed over 30# roof felt.

More than a Carpenter: Home repair & construction

http://www.carpenter.cjb.net

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: