Ridge Vent Question

Old 11-10-00, 12:49 PM
Visiting Guest
I just had my home re-roofed with a complete tearoff and replacement. The new ridge vent that was installed is 18 inches short of the hole in the ridge and the 18 inch hole is covered only by shingles. The roofer says this is standard procedure on 80 per cent of the homes that are completed. I have a real problem with this. A mis-step or fallen branch in the wrong place could easily result in a hole in the shingles.

Any comments?

Old 11-10-00, 10:58 PM
Visiting Guest
I can see running the ridge vent 18" past the hole, but running the hole 18" past the ridge vent?? I'm no pro roofer, but it sounds to me like this guy screws up 80% of his jobs!!

Old 11-12-00, 06:19 PM
Visiting Guest
Sounds like your roofer is an idiot that claims to be a roofer. That is not standard practice and he has opened himself up to a major lawsuit by you.

More than a Carpenter: Home repair & construction

http://www.carpenter.cjb.net

Old 11-13-00, 11:34 AM
Visiting Guest
You might call your local building department and ask to talk to the inspector. He/she can probably give you some ammo to get the problem corrected. No roof should have unsheathed holes of any sort. Shingles are not structural.

Old 11-13-00, 01:11 PM
Visiting Guest
You might call your local building department and ask to talk to the inspector. He/she can probably give you some ammo to get the problem corrected. No roof should have unsheathed holes of any sort. Shingles are not structural.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: