Best fix to sagging gutters during roof-over

Old 11-12-00, 04:18 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I'm having someone put a second layer of shingles over my existing layer. (I know ... but that's been decided.)

The front gutter is sagging. We had one guy come out and reset it. After doing so, he warned that the facia holding the gutter nails was pretty useless (30-years on the south side of the house) and that it would probably have to be replace to better support the gutter. I thought that we could just do those little strips/tethers that some people have on their gutters that actually help support the gutter by attaching it to the roof itself. (And then the second layer of shingles would cover them.)

The guy who's doing the reroofing says he thinks replacing the board is the better way to go, though he said that some times the nails/spikes holding it up were not drivinen through a joist properly, which might be an altogether easy workaround.

Recommendations?

Old 11-12-00, 06:54 AM
Visiting Guest
Replace the facia board. If it deteriorated to the point that it will no longer support the gutter, it's shot. Once the new board is in place, attach the gutter with gutter SCREWS, not nails. They will hold much better.

Old 11-12-00, 04:23 PM
Visiting Guest
Replace the facia board. Listen to your roofer. He knows best.

Old 11-12-00, 06:03 PM
Visiting Guest
My third opinion is the same as the first two. Replace the existing gutter board and use screws.

More than a Carpenter: Home repair & construction

http://www.carpenter.cjb.net

Old 11-14-00, 05:46 PM
Visiting Guest
Talking

Thanks. That was decisive! (Though I am tempted to go back and do a manual recount of the suggestions...)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: