Color Choices in Shingles

Old 05-07-03, 01:01 PM
wingnut2
Visiting Guest
Color Choices in Shingles

our 1960's cape is in need of a new roof, but we are finding it quite difficult to find a shingle color that looks good. The existing roof is/was white or grey (its the original roof, and after 40 years, its tough to tell color). We wanted to avoid white and grey as well as black, but its very difficult to tell what will look good with the exterior brick. The walls are built of brick in three different colors: black or charcoal, redish brown, and redish brown with black edges, in a ramdom pattern. We can't find any other homes in our neighborhood built of the same brick, so its tough to compare.

one color we are considering is the TAMKO Heritage shingle in Rustic Cedar. anyone ever work with this color shingle? Has anyone ever seen it on a brick home?

Also, does anyone know of any sites that can help you choose shingle colors?

Thankx

Old 05-07-03, 05:21 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rustic Cedar over black and red brick would not look good in my opinion.
If you want to stick with TAMKO, they have other shingles that would look good.
They have a Heritage shingle called "Black Walnut" that is a black shingle with a reddish-brown splash in it. I use it on any houses with red brick.
They also have a color called "Black Forest" that is similar. "Rustic Hickory" or "Autumn Brown" are reddish brown colors that may also look good.

If you want to get away from darker colors, they have a shingle called "Thunderstorm Grey" that is basically grey and light grey with black splashes in it.

It is a little difficult to tell you exactly what would look good because all of our tastes will differ. What I think looks great, some people might think is hideous.

I am very familiar with TAMKO. They have a wide variety of colors to suit any need you may have.
You can check their website, but I have found that pictures on websites do not give an accurate portrayal of the color.
I would visit your local roofing supplier to see a good sample.
Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: