Roofing terms

Old 05-15-03, 12:40 PM
erglicker
Visiting Guest
Question Roofing terms

I, being somewhat of a novice, and trying to evaluate a couple of roofing contracts. The roof is for a two story "flat roof". The details for replacing the existing "rock" roof in each of the contracts is the same (28# base sheet, tow layers of fiberglass ply using hot mopped asphalt....) except for the last step.
1. One contract says "Flood roof with hot asphalt and apply new rock."
2. The other contract say "Over the underlayment apply 80# mineral surfaced glass cap sheet on hot asphalt with laps nailed where necessary to prevent slippage."
Question: What is the difference between them and is one more expensive with better warranty than the other? The price difference is about $2500.
Thanks, -BobI, being somewhat of a novice, and trying to evaluate a couple of roofing contracts. The roof is for a two story "flat roof". The details for replacing the existing "rock" roof in each of the contracts is the same (28# base sheet, tow layers of fiberglass ply using hot mopped asphalt....) except for the last step.
1. One contract says "Flood roof with hot asphalt and apply new rock."
2. The other contract say "Over the underlayment apply 80# mineral surfaced glass cap sheet on hot asphalt with laps nailed where necessary to prevent slippage."
Question: What is the difference between them and is one more expensive with better warranty than the other? The price difference is about $2500.
Thanks, -Bob

Old 05-21-03, 05:31 PM
spolsen
Visiting Guest
If you don't feel comfortable, get some more proposals. A roof is simple. Don't make it complicated. It should have a base to secure it. Multiple layers of tar. And a light weight stone to keep the heat off. If you were paying me(the contractor), I would gladly give you an explanation. Just ask your contractor. My guess is the "other contract"is the more expensive item. Flat roof's just do not perform. Why do you think most schools and government buildings are going with a pitched roof now. A flat roof usually has a 8- 10 year life expectancy. If you are selling within 5 years, flood with tar; keeping the joint, go with the better!

Old 05-23-03, 05:23 PM
erglicker
Visiting Guest
Thanks for the input. I went with the cap (no rock) with the lower quote after he agreed to do for same price, and also some 100 ft gutter I needed.

Originally posted by spolsen
If you don't feel comfortable, get some more proposals. A roof is simple. Don't make it complicated. It should have a base to secure it. Multiple layers of tar. And a light weight stone to keep the heat off. If you were paying me(the contractor), I would gladly give you an explanation. Just ask your contractor. My guess is the "other contract"is the more expensive item. Flat roof's just do not perform. Why do you think most schools and government buildings are going with a pitched roof now. A flat roof usually has a 8- 10 year life expectancy. If you are selling within 5 years, flood with tar; keeping the joint, go with the better!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: