When to re-roof?

Old 05-18-03, 06:00 AM
ratherbecanoing
Visiting Guest
When to re-roof?

Greetings,

How can you determine whether it's time to replace your shingles/roofing? Just came down from my roof, cleaning out the gutters and noticed significant wear from our winter. Are there any "wear guidelines" for knowing if it's time to re-roof?

A few shingles have corners torn off (approx. ¼ - ½" sections). Maybe 5% of the shingles are showing cracks horizontally along the tabs (but not all the way through the shingle).

A handful seem have small "divits" out of the middle of shingle, but no cracks or tears.

I was up in the trusses last fall and all the roof decking looks in good shape…no water damage, etc.

Would rather spend my money/time this summer building a detached garage and finishing off my current garage into living space. But I figure the roof is more important if it's wearing.

We've been in the house approx. 15 years, and the sellers indicated they replaced the roof shortly before we bought it…so say the current roof is 17 years old.

Ideas or recommendations?

Old 05-18-03, 10:25 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Roof

Most guys that I know say about 20 years is about tops .When you where up there did a corner of the shingle break of like it was hard and dry like. That will also tell you yes or no ED

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: