felt

Old 05-22-03, 06:22 AM
want 2 do it rt
Visiting Guest
Question felt

I'm getting a new roof & some contractors quote a 15# felt while others say 30#. Do I need the heavier weight or is it just wasted $$?

Thanks for reading.

Old 05-22-03, 12:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

I always go with the 30 lb.
If shingles blow off in a storm, you want more protection than 15 lb.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 05-22-03, 01:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you are using laminated shingles, you may want to go with #30 felt.
If you are using 3-tabs, I would go with #15.
Even most roofing manufacturers prefer that you use #15 under a lightweight shingle. 3 tabs are typically not heavy enough to weight down the felt. If you have any wrinkles or waves in the felt, it will show up under a 3 tab.
The design of a laminate and it's weight will hide issues with felt, a 3 tab will not.

For that matter, I suggest using a laminate also.

Good luck

Old 05-22-03, 09:56 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
Make sure you are comparing apples. Some manufacturers produce a No. 30 felt which is equivalent to 15# felt. It all depends where the "#" is placed.

Old 05-23-03, 04:03 PM
spolsen
Visiting Guest
Lets see. Felt paper is nothing more than recycled paper saturated with a petroleum product(liquid tar) to help preserve or provide a vapor barrior against dryrote. A 15# felt paper is generally use in roofing of homes. A 30# paper is generally used behind brick or a area that may be exposed for a while. 15# paper wrinkles easily under humid conditions, 30 # takes alot more. It's all a matter of preference. I'm a roofer, I have 15# on my house. If you won't be covering it up the same day, you may want to consider 30#.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: