Roof Valley Leak

Old 05-22-03, 07:35 AM
mikieme
Visiting Guest
Question Roof Valley Leak

This last winter we were sitting down to dinner when water started dripping on the middle of the dinning room table.

It was coming from around the light fixture. when I investigated it further i found out it was the roof valley leaking.

Upon futher Inspection i found out that the roof had been recovered with sheeting and 3 taband metal valley( no problem i thought)

the house was built in 1925 it was cedar shake 10inch metal valley ( of couse it was rusted through) they recovered the roof with half inch sheeting 10 inch metal valley.( with out stripping the old off.)

when they layed the 3 tab they cut it along the valley and used roofing tar to seal it.

QUESTION: How am i going to reseal the valley ( the whole lenght of the valley need to be sealed ) with out lifting it up.

Or am i going to be able to spread roofing tar on the intire valley and work 3 tab granulars in to the tar.
PLEASE HELP:

Old 05-22-03, 08:28 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I'd go with a wider flashing, say 24" min, the entire length of the valley, so that'll give your a foot of flashing up each side, then use Tamko Plastic Roof Cement & give the entire thing a liberal coating.

Hope that helps,

Old 05-26-03, 03:34 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Hi Mike,

Sorry haven't been online for a couple of days, been real busy & short-handed again, hardest part of running your own show is getting reliable help. Got your PM, let me expand on my previous reply.

As to your leak, My 1st reply would be if this roof is newly installed, call your roofer back & make him honor his warranty & fix it. If you going to attempt the repair yourself, I think I'd get a roll of 24" flashing & a 5 gal bucket of Tamko brand Plastic Roof Cement. Measure the length of the valley, & cut a piece of flashing to length. Get a extra set of hands to help & fold the piece into a "V", now lay it into the valley so you've got a ft of metal going up each side. Once you've got the flashing into place, use a wide paint brush (6-8" brush that will be thrown out when finished) brush on a coat of PRC centered on the each edge of the flashing both sides & the top of the valley are most crucial. Now nail with long enough roofing nails to endure the nails go into the sheeting. Nail about every 16". Then put on another coat of the PRC all along the edge of the flashing, go at least 3-4" onto the flashing & the adjoining shingles.

Hope that explains it better. But I'd seriously contact your roofer that installed the new roof & make him fix it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: