Putting on a asphalt roof

Old 05-24-03, 05:59 PM
MichaelJP
Visiting Guest
Putting on a asphalt roof

Well we bought a house that is pretty old. The previous owner claimed to have put a new roof on half the house a while back but that the other side would need replacing.

First of all I think it is strange only to repair half a roof. I had no say in the house purchase

Anyway, I and my brother are about to just replace the entire roof because we found that the "new roof" was just asphalt shingles over the wood. In one area the weather had torn a shingle loose and I can see into the attic. Grrrr

My brother has done roof repairs before, he worked with a roofer once and went all the way through a job. I have done a lot of research along with the fact I do all the repairs on the house anyway.

What I want to know is if people could give me an idea on the cost of supplies for a roof. That being felt, ice barrier, etc.

Here is a diagram,
http://www.parkswc.com/Roof.jpg

Notice in the diagram we are only working on the slanted roof areas. There are two flat roofs covered in a rubber membrane that are fine.

I estimate the roof is 2300 square feet (23 squares?).
It obviously is going to need us to rip everything off and start over.

Thank you for any help,
Michael

Old 05-25-03, 01:38 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Asphalt roof

Cost of materials tends to vary from area to area. Go see the building supply stores in your area for an estimate for materials.

It is very important that you ask for and receive a copy of the manufacturer's written material warranty before making a decision on what shingles to purchase. Costs will also vary depending upon what type of asphalt shingles you select as well as warranty.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: