roof

Old 05-31-03, 06:52 AM
cdish
Visiting Guest
roof

Hello everyone,

The house I bought has tar and stone on the roof. Supposedly the previous owner said he was going for a "California Look." Does anyone know how to replace this roof. Obviously the stone has to be scraped, do you think new boards over the existing tar and then a timberline? help

Cory:

Old 06-01-03, 03:09 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
A good rule of thumb is to tear it all off. If you do not, you will not know if you have any bad subroofing boards. If you do not, you will also have a new roof which will not lay flat. Good Luck

Old 06-13-03, 12:21 PM
Roofdog
Visiting Guest
whats a timberline?

Old 06-13-03, 03:28 PM
Roofdog: I have no idea what it is. Must be a New Jersey thing.

Old 06-13-03, 08:40 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
Timberline is a brand of asphalt shingles. It's like the asphalt shingle Xerox in the area.

Old 06-13-03, 11:16 PM
Timberline is a laminated shingle made by GAF.

Old 06-14-03, 02:42 AM
B
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
What is the roof slope? If I remember correctly, the maximum slope for an asphalt & gravel roof is something like 3:12.

If you want to go this low with a shingle, there are special things you need to do. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 3:12 the minimum slope with shingles?

Bruce

Old 06-14-03, 03:54 AM
Roofdog
Visiting Guest
i wouldn`t go over the roof with boards and shingles,tear it off and start from there,if you are going to stay with the flat roof...there are many different flat roof materials,rubber,burn-on,pvc,hot tar,also the minimum pitch for shingles is a 4/12 but you would need ice sheild on the hole roof.

Old 06-14-03, 08:31 AM
Officially, the lowest slope warrantied for shingles is 2:12.
However, any shingles applied to slopes 2:12 to 4:12 will require either 2 layers of felt or a self adhering modified membrane (ice and water shield). 4:12 slopes and above can be applied normally.

In my opinion, anything less than 4:12 should use a "flat roof material" as mentioned by Roofdog. There are many types, mainly hot asphalt, torch products, or cold adhesive.

On this roof, you could spud the gravel off, but you would need to re-deck with plywood anyway to get a smooth surface.

I agree with Jack the Contractor's advice. When I have a choice, I would always tear it off and start anew.

Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: