Ventilation in Attic without Soffits

Old 06-10-03, 10:07 AM
indigo997
Visiting Guest
Ventilation in Attic without Soffits

I'm having a new roof put on soon and have discovered that I also need to add ventilation in the attic. The attic is broken up into several parts and only the very top crawl space (along the main ridge) has any ventilation - two gable vents.
The other areas aren't very large, and there are no soffits. One roofer said he'd just stick a turbine vent on top of each area, but how much will that do without any intake vents?

I have uploaded some pictures and descriptions to http://www.pbase.com/indigo997/work .

Thanks for any help!

Old 06-10-03, 12:20 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
roof

No matter what you do on top you do need the vents put in the overhang or soffits. Turbine vents, dont like them they let the rain in and if you look when its hot as h--- and no wind they dont run when you need them.You could just use the so called roof button vents.on all the roofs but you do need the vents in the overhang
also. ED

Old 06-10-03, 06:04 PM
indigo997
Visiting Guest
Could you take a look at my pictures and tell me where to put the intake vents? There aren't any soffits.

Old 06-10-03, 07:00 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
One option is using edgevents.
It's like drip edge but it lets air in at the eaves.

Old 06-10-03, 08:46 PM
vents

Picture didnt come up for me. There are some small round vents. that you can use. Just drill a hole in the blocking and tap them in. Come in a lot of size like from 1" on up to 3" ED

Old 06-22-03, 07:26 PM
Q
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
vents for soffits

Guys, Thanks for broaching this one........I'd always wondered. I do wonder how many per foot etc? in Vents. Thanks.QR

Old 06-23-03, 09:22 AM
indigo997
Visiting Guest
www.pbase.com/indigo997/work
I wish they'd let you imbed links in this forum, but that address *should* work. It is for me. Don't cut and paste the [url] tags. That's just something the forum is adding.
What/where is the blocking? Is it on the wall under the overhang? Do those not allow wind or water to blow in?
I don't think I can use anything along the edge (edgevents?) unless they go on the roof and are fairly far in from the edge. I'd be worried about water getting in anything like that though.
The roofing guys don't seem to be planning on putting in intake vents so I really need a solution.

Old 06-23-03, 12:54 PM
vents

the top boards there that go up to the roof between the rafters. That is where you can drill and put the small button vents to vent into the attic ED

Old 06-24-03, 09:41 AM
indigo997
Visiting Guest
On the wall? (sorry but I still don't understand exactly where they'd go) I haven't found any info online about putting vents on the wall like that. I want to be sure they won't let wind and rain go through.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: