Warped composition shingles

Old 06-20-03, 12:15 PM
brinkdog
Visiting Guest

I have a few warped shingles that aren't laying completely flat and I'm concerned that rain may blow up under the gaps. The gaps are maybe 1/2" at the most. Could I get them to lay back down with some roofing cement and a bit of pressure, or do the shingles need to be replaced?

Old 06-20-03, 09:15 PM
bungalow jeff
Visiting Guest
Were the shingles warped since installation or has something caused the warping? If there is no active problem causing the shingles to warp, I would go ahead and stick them down with roofing cement as you have planned.

Old 06-21-03, 06:07 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You could just do like I did. I applied blackjack, face nailed them down, and put blackjack on the nail heads. This was 5 years ago.
Not a problem since. Good Luck

Old 06-21-03, 10:27 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts

While you are at it, take a look to see that you have adequate insulation and ventilation in the attic. Heat and humidity in attic spaces can contribute to warping and buckling of shingles. On west and south sides of the home, where heat is greater, roofing tends to deteriorate quicker. High winds can force rain under shingles. Be ever wary for roof leaks.

Inspect your roof a couple times a year to make sure shingles are flat and flashings are in good repair. Keep an eye out for signs of leaks in attic, on ceilings and walls. Take a look at your warranty to get an idea of how long your roof should last. Because environmental conditions tend to vary, the number of years is an "average."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: