I need roofing for a walk on balcony-help!

Old 06-24-03, 04:06 PM
Alan Bonness
Visiting Guest
I need roofing for a walk on balcony-help!

I'm looking for any kind of roofing that will work on a flat balcony roof. I want to be able to walk on it and use it as a deck (tables chairs etc.). There has to be, in the 21st century, a product that will work well in such a situation...

Old 06-25-03, 04:28 AM
B
Received 9 Upvotes on 9 Posts
We have designed this several times for clients over the years. We use EPDM (rubber) single ply roofing, 60 mil.

For a wood deck, lay 2x6 sleepers flat. Attach a continuous 3/4" piece of rigid insulation (the blue stryrofoam) to the bottom as a pad to protect the roofing; as added insurance, put scraps of EPDM between the styrofoam and the roofing. You can then screw decking to the sleepers; be sure the screws don't go thru the sleepers. Build the deck in about 6' x 6' sections so it can be removed in case of a leak. Be sure your roof can take the weight of the decking and people.

Hope this is what you are looking for. If you are looking for a roofing material that you can put tables and chairs on directly, I don't think there is anything that will last long term.

Bruce

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: