When to replace roofing???

Old 06-29-03, 02:28 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question When to replace roofing???

When do I know that it's time to put a new roof on my home?
I'm sure that a visual check of the shingles can indicate when, but how often should one check? When should one start checking?
I currently live in a home that was built in 1986. Bought it the home in 1998, and all I remember from my home inspector was that the roof was in "great shape", and I asked his opinion on how long it had to go, and I can't for the life of me remember what he thought. There is only one layer of shingles and I couldn't tell you if it was the original or not.
I know this is one of thos e things I need to learn about yet, just thought I 'd get some good advice.

Thanks in advance, for anyone's input or opinion!!

Visser

Old 06-29-03, 08:21 AM
Check once per year and after major wind and hail storms.
Look for exposed asphalt and/or the organic/fiberglass mat.
Just because your roof looks "old" or "worn out" does not mean it is not functional.
Granules on a shingle serve only one purpose.....to protect the asphalt (the waterproofing element) from the UV rays of the sun.
As long as the granules are intact, the shingle will perform. Once enough granules fall off to expose the asphalt to the UV rays of the sun, the asphalt will begin to degrade and will eventually crack or disappear, leaving exposed asphalt/fiberglass mat...which water will just seep through.
All of the other stuff to look for will be obvious on the roof. For example any major cracking, shingles missing, shingles broken and torn away, damaged shingles from trees scraping them, etc....

Fungus and algae (your roof turning dark) is not a reason to replace your roof. It can be cleaned.

Hope this helps......

Old 06-29-03, 09:50 PM
Thanks D.M. That answered my question perfectly!

Visser

Old 07-08-03, 03:29 PM
B
Good questions = I'm struggling with a similar decision. Have leaks in a flat roof and I know that needs to be replaced. The other part of the roof (pitched - with shingles) the shingles look good - but there are a couple of bulges in the roof - like the plywood is pulling away. One contractor said just replace the flat roof and don't worry about the other. Another said there's something going on under those bulges and gave me an estimate for the entire roof. Any comments/ suggestions appreciated!!!!

Old 07-09-03, 07:16 PM
Find out what the bulges are. It's not difficult to lift some shingles and find out if it's felt buckling or the deck. You could try stepping on them and see if there is any resistance.
Where they there from the beginning?
It could just be felt buckling up in which case the felt "can" be slit and the roof would not need to be replaced.
If the decking is buckling, you have a different problem and you should probably have it fixed while you have a roofer out there.
If it's the decking, make sure that clips are used to space the decking. You will also want to make sure you have adequate ventilation to keep the deck from buckling.
Good luck

Old 07-09-03, 08:02 PM
B
Thanks for the info - by the size of the bulge - I would guess that it is more than just felt buckling - there does seem to be some resistance when I step on it (like you can feel the plywood being pushed back down). Wasn't there when I bought the house - could have developed over this last long hard winter that we had.

Another question - the roof onlyu slopes in one direction - and on the hihg side is just a ridge that leads doen to the siding. They put some kind of metal strip along this. One of the metal strips is loose and I seem to be tgetting water behind the siding. When I have the roof done - is there anything I should make sure is done to that ridge to insure that water doesn't get down in the siding?

Love this site - a lot of usefull info!!!

Old 07-09-03, 08:45 PM
If I understand the situation corectly,
I would put an "ice & water shield" type of product behind this flashing and then re-flash it. The ice & water shield at the junction should provide plenty of waterproofing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: