K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
roofing estimate

is this a good price?
my roof is 19 square the roofers are going to charge me
1500 for labor and I buy the materials
this is a reroof including a ridge vent,, for a whole tear off
they told me 2400 i have 2 layers on the roof now. first...is it wise to put 3 layers on. i do not know the building code for the city of rochester ny.. i would like to just reroof if i can... i do not plan on staying here much longer.. any sugestions? should I bother buying archtectural shingles. they are more expensive right?
thank you for any help

Old 06-29-03, 06:11 AM
cs1992
Visiting Guest
Your best bet is to have them remove the existing 2 layers of shingles. Adding a 3rd layer is a no-no.

Old 06-29-03, 07:26 AM
I would tear off the 2 layer also. I don't know the market in NY, so I am not able to say if that is a fair price....but I wouldn't do a roofover anyway.
I would go with an architectural (laminated) shingle. It will not be that much more expensive for only 19 squares and it will help with your resale.
Good luck.

Old 06-29-03, 09:35 AM
If they will tear off both layers and re-roof for $2400 plus materials, I would hire them. This is a good price. This comes out $126.00 a square, which is a fair price and right on the money what they should be charging. Yes, also use a laminate shingle.
If you are planning on selling in the near future, your new roof will be a big plus, on top of that, you can deduct the whole thing for a capital expenditure.

Old 06-29-03, 05:58 PM
K
ok thanks for the imput
I will get a few more estimates , and take it from there
go with the tearoff i will let you know the final price
thanks again

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description: