masonry/flashing caulk options

Old 07-10-03, 05:48 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
masonry/flashing caulk options

Hello:

I have a 2 yr old house with front porch. The roof is a standing seam with a a semicircle opening over the door - very challenging to do - accoridng to the builder. The roof has developed leaks and the source seems to be where the metal rood is "connected/selaed" to the masonry wall on front of house. The metal roof is simply nailed into the masonry wall, and then sealed with conventional roofing caulk.

I will also add that the original workmanship was poor, and not sure if they even followed proper installation practices.

I don't have much roofing expertise, but would appreciate advise on the following:

1. What type of caulk can i use to recaulk the roof edge to the masonry wall? Do you recommend a brand name, etc. Do I have to remove the old caulking? Is there an alternative product to use for this kind of work?

2. There are a couple of nails that were driven through the metal to secure the metal on the semicircle radios. What type of cauling should be used to seal these up?

3. Should I have a roofing pro look at this and repair the work?

Any advise is greatly appreciated.

Old 07-11-03, 12:14 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Roof

Boy when you dont see it its hard to say. But this is what I think. When we put on a roof like this or on a bay . the metal thats on the roof should turn up on the wall like 3" or more. If the roof was say too round for this you cut out some copper or metal to fit the curve and solder it on the roof so it went up the wall some. Now this you do not fasten to the wall.It has to say float ok.
Now you cut a copper or metal what ever that will fit over this about 1" off the roof and up the wall say 6" this is the counter flashing that you fasten to the wall and dope in. You see the home and the roof have to move in the heat and in the cold. I think what you need is a good tin bender here that knows how to work this. For now clean out as much of the old caulking that is lose as you can and Id just use the black roof dope on it for now this does come in the tube now. have fun ED

Old 07-14-03, 04:43 AM
T
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
thank u Ed. I will try to scrape away the old caulk/tar and reapply. If that does not work, I'll just have to get a good tin bender to redo the work.

tom

Old 07-17-03, 09:08 AM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Counter flashing should have been applied above where the roof turns up on the wall. The counterflashing is installed in grooves in the mortar joints and either mortared (old way) or caulked (newer way) with a mortar patch compound. No caulk will seal correectly on the joint between metal and stone. The metal moves to much as it heats up.

Last edited by brickeyee; 07-17-03 at 09:57 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: