Brand New Roof is Leaking!

Old 07-10-03, 12:56 PM
indigo997
Visiting Guest
Unhappy Brand New Roof is Leaking!

We had our roof torn off and new 25 year shingles installed a few days ago. We had a little trouble with the roofer throughout the job. We had quite a bit of rotten wood in the porch from a roof leak, and he didn't want to replace it without getting more money. My problem with that was that he had inspected the roof before the job and seen the rotten wood (it was clearly visible as there is no ceiling on the porch) so IMO it should have been included in the estimate. I think I could have won that battle since the estimate said he would replace rotten wood on the porch and chimney, but I gave up and did it myself after the fact.
Still... the roofer and I weren't getting along by the end of the job, and I was hoping that I wouldn't have to deal with him again.
Unfortunately, we had a big rainstorm last night (the first since the roof was put on) and have leaks.
Water started running out of the outlets in the upstairs bathroom and staining the ceiling in there. It's a very big leak next to a chimney so we had to put a cup under it and empty the cup a few times. Then we checked one of the pipes that goes through the roof in the attic, and it had a little stream of water along it too.
We called the guy today, and he said that he'd come out.
Having leaks so soon worried me so we did a hose test and found that the other chimney is leaking as well as 2 other pipes AND a valley.
We just let water run down the roof and directly around the pipes. We were careful not to push water up under the shingles or walk in the valleys.

We are supposed to have a one year leak warranty, but the guy still hasn't shown up today and there's rain expected for tonight.
Is there anything else I can do?
I'm very concerned that there are SO many leaks so soon - especially in the valley. He did a california run (?) in the valleys without any rolled roofing or flashing underneath. My boyfriend was underneath when we ran the hose, and he says it's leaking quite a bit from several places.
This has been such a bad, expensive experience already. I have more leaks now than before I had the roof replaced!

Old 07-11-03, 03:29 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

Contact an attorney, the Better Business Bureau, and the appropriate state licensing board if this clown claimed to have any type of license.
A letter from an attorney will get his attention first. Have any work that he does to do the job properly inspected before releasing him.
Good Luck!
Mike

Old 07-11-03, 11:22 AM
jmiddleton
Visiting Guest
In most jurisdictions, there isn't much to stop a small contractor who is being chased by irate clients from shutting down his business, moving across the street and reopening under a new name. Your best protection is to demand and check references up front and to negotiate a 30 day holdback (usually 10%) to insure that loose ends get tidied up. Also check to make sure your contractor has liability and workers compensation insurance - otherwise you could end up holding the bag if he damages a neighbors property or if a worker gets hurt. Right now your best bet is probably to call another contractor to come in and fix the mess. It will probably be cheaper and less stressful than calling a lawyer to chase the original contractor. Good luck.

Old 07-11-03, 06:50 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I hate to tell you this, but you have been taken. Probably your chimney was not flashed properly and sealed. Neither were your vent pipes, and your valley. I agree with the above. Just walk away from this guy and call in someone else to finish the job properly. It is not that big a job, but will probably cost you a couple hundred dollars. Good Luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: