3-tab or T-lock

Old 07-14-03, 08:20 AM
cstrtrav
Visiting Guest
3-tab or T-lock

I am preparing to reroof my house. It has a hip roof with one valley and is at a 3-12 pitch. It is currently roofed with T-lock asphalt, but I would like to re-roof with 3-tab. Some "amateur experts" tell me that I can't use 3-tab on a 3-12, others say it's fine. I'm not so much concerned with the cost difference as I am with the ease of installation of 3-tabs vs T-lock. Is there a rule of thumb to use? We live in MOntana, if that's relevant. We're not in the mountains, so we don't usually get 2 feet of snow at a time, nor do we get a lot of tornadoes, but we do get a fair number of hail storms in the summer. Thanks for any info you can supply.

Old 07-14-03, 05:43 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Both Oakridge and Timberlane say a 3/12 is ok for 3 tab. But others so no, so there you are. T Locks may not be around for much longer as there are better alternatives which many are using. I would take a look at the PRo 30 3 diminsional shingles. Very easy to install. A good wind shingle, which you need out there, and look very nice on your roof. These are just my thoughts, but I would be someone in NC will jump in and tell you different. Thats ok, the more information one has, the better decisions one can make. Good Luck I got called to Livingston last winter, Dec 28 and had to finish putting on a big commercial roof in 30 & 40 mph winds with a blizzard coming down on us. Nice town.

Old 07-16-03, 05:55 AM
jmiddleton
Visiting Guest
The folks at IKO have a document that discusses using 3 tab shingles on low slope roofs. http://www.iko.com/misc/FaqPdf/Application.PDF
Adobe Acrobat reader required.
The article is aimed at a Canadian audience but should be appropriate for any of the northern states.

Old 07-25-03, 01:57 PM
hrmm 3/12. I would look at putting ice dam protector up under the new shingles. Architectural shingles are the way to go in my opinion, 3tab just plain suck to be blunt. Arc shingles do not have any points where they easily tear like 3tabs do in heavy wind. Make sure you put that ice dam stuff on the valley of that hip roof. I have a hip roof here and absolutely hate it.

Jack: most people i know have a fit about using shingles without that ice dam membrane on a roof under 5/12. Unless its just the way our winters are in PA. We usually have a lot of freeze/thaws that create havoc.

Old 07-26-03, 04:00 PM
Hellrazor: I have used ice dam on all my roofs since the early 90's. I was using it before it was code. I use it on all roofs no matter what the picth. I also usually run it up 6' instead of the required 3'. In many cases of a 3/12 pitch, and depending on the roof, I have put it on the entire roof. I always try to use dimensional shingles also. Attention roofers. Something else is coming down the line. I have been using it for over 2 years, and it is soon going to be code all over the country. Boy is there going to me some surprised and mad roofers. Just remember you heard it here first. Everyone have a good day.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: