Gutter Realignment Help

Old 07-15-03, 06:54 AM
Skipper
Visiting Guest
Question Gutter Realignment Help

I must realign the pitch of a 20 foot long gutter, as the center is higher than either end, and there is only one downspout.

Question is, how can I best remove the long gutter spikes currently in the gutter without damaging the gutter itself?

Old 07-15-03, 04:58 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
This is very very hard to do. Most times when you have to pull out the spikes, you put up a new gutter. There are a great many better different kinds of gutter hangers then spikes now days.
the answer is very very carefully. Usually using a pliers. At least that is how I do it. Jump in here guys, maybe you have a better solution for him.

Old 07-16-03, 12:04 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Gutters

If you have what we call a jimmy bar. The flat wide one looks like a long L . You can get it on the head of the spike and then we hammer out on it. Now not a old pry bar. Also if you have another one of the ferrules there you can put it inside the gutter and then use a pry bar and put this other ferrule where the bar will go against the gutter. ED

Old 07-16-03, 12:42 PM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Cut a block of wood to the width of the guter. Shape one end to approximate the inside shape of the gutter. Use a pry bar with the block as a backup inside the gutter. Get new spikes from McFeeleys that have threads on the end so they can be screwed in. For copper gutters thread the copper spikes 1/4-20 and use brass inserts in the fascia.

Old 07-16-03, 02:17 PM
Skipper
Visiting Guest
Gutter Realignment

I appreciate the suggestions that several of you proposed, (Jack the Contractor, Ed Imeduc, and Brickeyee).
Here is what I ended up doing. I removed the downspout and using a cutoff wheel on a Dremel tool I cut through each spike . I then removed the gutter, pulled out the remaining portion of the spike, and plugged the spike holes with a dowel rod and caulk to seal them. I then rehung the gutter with the proper pitch and fastened it with screw type brackets. I figured the spikes were more expendable than a new gutter section.

Thanks again for your help and suggestions. This was my first posting and I am impressed with the helpful response

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: