New chimney flashing?

Old 07-18-03, 12:05 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New chimney flashing?

Noticed wet wood around my chimney when I was crawling around my attic. Went up on the roof and found the chimney step flashing to be in pretty bad shape. For the moment used some roofing tar to close gaps and cover holes in the flashing. Looks to me that it wasn't replaced with last roof which I estimate to be about 6-8 years ago. Asphalt shingles are in good shape. I'm probably going to hire someone to do this but still would like to know. Generally can this be done without having to replace shingles? The brick itself is rough faced. What sort of plyable material would be used to form to the brick? The old stuff looks like some sort of lead maybe. Thanks for any help/suggestions!

Sponsored Links
Old 07-18-03, 02:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

They may have to replace the shingles next to the chimney in order to re-stepflash it.
They should saw a 1/2" deep kerf in the mortar and/or brick to bend the top of the flashing into, over a bed of black plastic roofing cement to seal it to the rough bricks.
My one wide chimney (two fireplaces, three flues) also has counter-flashing cemented over the stepflashing, and goes through hurricanes, etc. without leaking a drop.
Good Luck!

Old 07-18-03, 03:50 PM
C
Thanks OldGuy! At least that gives me some idea. This really should have been done last go round. Cuttin corners I suspect.When you say counter-flashing would that be a few solid pieces of roll type or just an additional layer of step flashing?

By the way I see you live on the Albemarle Sound. I know that area. Ever been to/through Columbia? My uncle used to be Chief of Police there (late50's-1970) course I think he was the only police.

Old 07-18-03, 05:08 PM
B
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
And try and use copper flashing against mortar joints. The alkaline pH is really tough on the aluminum stuff.

Old 07-20-03, 01:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Cool

Counter-flashing = solid pieces cemented over the step-flashing with the top recessed into a 1/2" deep kerf (circular saw masonry blade) in mortar and/or the bricks for double water-proofing.
Been to/through Columbia many times. I live in Washington Co., just west of Tyrrell Co. (Columbia).
Good Luck!

Old 07-21-03, 05:26 PM
C
Thanks again OldGuy!