rotted facia board help

Old 07-22-03, 06:31 AM
gotsol
Visiting Guest
rotted facia board help

hello,
I am a new homeowner and I need some help.

there are two areas in the front of my house that have rotted facia board behind the gutters. I've done a little research but I still have questions.

I've never done this type of work before but I am pretty handy. How can I safely remove the gutters? what about removing the facia? How do I re-hang new facia?

Also, how do I properly install flashing to prevent more rot in these key areas?

Thanks

FYI the Facia apears to be 1" x 6" but that is based on my guess. And one section is so long that it is two pices joined with a 45 degree cut (like this) "/" I believe only one side needs replacing. any tips on alighning the ends and corners (also at a 45 degree angle)

Old 07-22-03, 05:40 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: gotsol

In my opinion, the project you have is one that you can do as a do it yourself project. Makes a perfect weekend project... As a homeowner there will be many.

Replacement of the facia boards requires some hand tools, power tools, maybe two saw horses or a workmate table, nails, wood putty, wood screws, etc. I would highly suggest another person or two as helpers.

Remove the rain gutters. They will be screwed into the facia or some clip into brackets. The brackets are than screwed into the facia board. Some gutters use both methods or any variation.

The boards can be purchased at the local lumber yard or most large retail chain hardware stores. In this places you will need to buy a mitre box saw, handsaw and or a power saw.

As a homeowner, tools will always be required if your going to be a do it yourself handyman. Therefore, if you do not already have the tools required, the first time purchases can be costly but worth every cent over the years.

Removing and replacing the boards will require two persons. The boards are usually nailed on and can be hammered off from the inside. Usually takes one person to hold and support a board while another hammers it off.

Once removed, duplicate the existing angles and length. This is when those newly purchased tools will be needed. A hand held power saw can cut the end angles by adjusting the plate.

Flashing can usually be installed easily. No instructions are required. Purchase it a the local hardware store or lumber store, as suggested above, and inquire from the professional there.

As a suggestion and recommendation, if there is already rot damage and while you have the help, replace all or as many of the boards as possible.

Older houses used the same wood but todays widths are slightly less than years ago. Part off the cost cutting factors in todays economy. Matching the boards up may reveal minor differences.

If you have the time and resources, replace the gutters also if needed. Especially if you have helpers whom work for food and beer only....

Old 07-23-03, 05:30 AM
gotsol
Visiting Guest
great advice and encouragement. I am slighty timid about this project but I do have a very handy freind who is willing to help me and has tools.

The gutters seem to be hung with spikes. I've read a few suggestions and tips on removing these spikes without damagin the gutter and I think I am clear on the process, unless someone else has some input.

Old 07-23-03, 07:29 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cool

One last tip...use pressure-treated wood kiln-dried after treatment (stamped KDAT).
It will be about a third higher than untreated wood, but it should be under a 50-year warranty, and you probably won't be replacing it in this lifetime.
Good Luck!

Old 07-25-03, 01:48 PM
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
For spiked gutters, cut a piece of wood to fit inside to it cant flex a lot. My other recommendation to you is to put aluminum facia on the new wood while you have the gutters off. This would eliminate the chance of the new wood rotting over time and no more painting.

As far as hanging the new wood, use galv 8 penny nails to fasten them and put 2 nails into every joist.

Also, paint the new wood before you hang it, its a lot easier.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: