Rain Gutter materials, etc.

Old 08-18-03, 03:54 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Rain Gutter materials, etc.

We don't get much rain here...except when we do. Someone told me I should have rain gutters to protect my 80 year old foundation.

The first man only suggested aluminum. The second said steel is better. Online I've read of other materials. What are seamless ones? What's better or worse about them?

One post here said to use bark or something on the ground near the house to avoid gutters completely. Other posts seemed to be saying rain gutters cause problems when there's too much water.

I only asked the first man about maintenance. He said since there are no trees dropping leaves on the house, I won't need maintenance. True?

The house is small, with wood siding. The lot slants down in both the front and back. How can I know what I need?

Old 08-19-03, 02:23 PM
Installing gutters is a good idea in order for you to be able to direct water away from your foundation. Aluminum gutters wont rust, so that makes it maintenance free. I would recommend installing aluminum facia along with the gutters since that will also eliminate painting.

Old 08-19-03, 03:22 PM
S
What are facia and how do they eliminate painting? Is steel not more durable--or more anything important?

Old 08-19-03, 04:42 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wink Gutters

You sure do need them. The Facia board is the board you look at there on the home on the tail end of the rafters or this is the board that the gutters will go up on. We dont cover them unless the whole over hang is being redone and new metal going up on the over hang. From what you have I would just put the gutters up. On that Bark deal the water will still drip off the roof hit the bark and still get the home wet. With the gutters they will carry the water away.
Now when they say Seamless its just that for the gutters. They have a set up on the truck that will make the gutters for your home right there. All in one length So you wont have any seams to leak.About all gutters we put up or aluminum ED

Old 08-19-03, 09:15 PM
S
I'm afraid I still don't understand the facia board. Now that I know a little more about what to ask, I'll get another estimate and then call back the other companies if I need to ask more questions...and come back here, of course.

Thanks for the help.

Old 08-20-03, 03:15 AM
Sondra: Go outside your house and look up at the edge of your roof. Better yet, go to a neighbors house who has gutters and look at it. At the edge of the roof where the gutters go, there should be a board niled across the rafter tails this is called fascia.
If you went to someone's house and looked at it who has gutters, right behind the gutters will be a board the gutters are up against, and this is called the fascia board. It is possible that you do not have a fascia board on your house. You may or may not need one. The faascia board issue should not even have been brought up here, since you did not ask about them, and it is possibe that you do not even need them. Good Luck

Old 08-20-03, 02:28 PM
Only reason i brought it up was because of the maintenance free issue. Otherwise... paint before you put up gutters. Doing it the other way around is a pain.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: