Roof Repair/Replacement Question

Old 08-19-03, 03:37 PM
luluram
Visiting Guest
Roof Repair/Replacement Question

I recently discovered a stain on my garage ceiling that is obviously due to a leaking roof. The garage is attached to the house and is a single storied structure. However, the house itself is two-storied and a downspout from the "upper" roof empties out directly onto the garage roof (directly above the leak) instead of into a gutter. The roof is made of asphalt shingles (I think).

My question is: how can I identify the exact leak location and how do I approach this issue. Is it possible to patch the leak or do I need to reinstall some shingles. Upon visual inspection from a few feet away I couldn't see any obvious holes in the shingles. It is also possible that the actual leak is some distance away in the flashing and not the shingles.

Also, the house is 12 years old. I moved in a year ago and have no idea what warranty the roof would have. How can I tell if it is a 15 year or 20 year roof or does it even matter. On a house this old, when is the recommended time to replace the roof?? Someone told me that it is possible to overlay the shingles with another layer of shingles one time and this fix will last for 5 yrs after which all shingles must be removed and replaced.

Any and all advise is welcome.... Thanks!

-luluram

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-03, 06:07 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wink Roof

For now ----I would take and run that downspout on down the roof to a gutter. You can get the downspout and L s for it at home depot or lowes . Then see if the flashing has a leak.I would not put new shingles on over the old ones. Have the old ones take off. Then new 30 lb felt and new heavy3 tab shingles and your good for 20 to 25 years. It dont matter 15 or 20 years your a new owner and it dont count for you. ED

Old 08-20-03, 03:34 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I would relocate the downspout ASAP. Putting multiple layers of shingles is done, i hate it and dont recommend it, but its done. If you replace the roof, use dimensional shingles. They last a lot longer and are more durable.