roof ventilation

Old 08-27-03, 02:02 PM
Sandy1
Visiting Guest
Unhappy roof ventilation

I hired a company 5 years and 1 month ago to re-roof the apartment building my father owns. The warranty for the roof was for 5 years. I just noticed mold growing under the eaves on a large portion of the second story roof. I suspect the mold is from a lack of adequate ventilation when the roof was re-roofed. Isn't there a building code that specifies the amount of ventilation of 1sq.ft/150sq.ft of attic space. The ventilation in our roof is much less than that. How would our roof have passed a building inspection if the ventilation was not correct? The roof was very expensive, $50,000! I'm very frustrated, any help with this would be extremely appreciated.

Old 08-28-03, 04:31 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
If the mildew is on the outside, it would be due to moisture and dirt accumulating over time, not from ventilation of the attic or none. Wash the mildew off with a mixture of bleach 25% in water with a dash of tide, prime, and paint. Often bushes growing against the house close and tall create a moist enviroment that contributes to the growth of mildew. Mildew is more prone to grow on the north side of the house because there is less sunshine to dry the outside, especailly under the eaves. Sometimes adding mildew inhibitors to paint can be beneficial in such an environment.

Hope this helps.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: