waterproofing

Old 08-30-03, 10:45 AM
pougee
Visiting Guest
Question waterproofing

what waterproofing product can i apply to the bottom edge of exterior sheathing(OSB) where it meets the concrete foundation prior to installing the vinyl siding to keep rain splash from damaging the sheathing. It would have to be compatable with wood and concrete, paul

Old 08-30-03, 02:00 PM
texaspaul
Visiting Guest
pougee, it might be a pain to do, but on my personal home, I took the bottom 4ft and used treated plywood. Above that is OSB. The home is Hardie plank and stone. I am glad that you have the forthought to recognize a potential problem. If changing the OSB isn't pratical, I would try one of the UGL products. Maybe they are compatible with wood. I just dont know.

Old 08-30-03, 02:28 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Given that there is sufficient clearance above the concrete, priming and painting the lower edge of siding is a good idea. Paint is well-suited for protecting wood. OSB is a wood-product and does well with paint. An option might be to take one of the channels of vinyl and wrap the painted OSB when the first round of siding goes on.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-30-03, 06:12 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Paul, You can install your starter strip or J, whichever you will be using in your situation, to overlap part of the concrete. This way the siding will be lower then the bottom edge of the OSB and prevent water from splashing there. Also make sure your tyvek/etc vapor barrier is down to the very bottom of your OSB.

Last year i framed a garage and threw some scrap cuts of OSB on a pile of brush i needed to burn. It was on that pile from late sept until i burned the pile in march or april and those pieces still looked like new. OSB stands up to the weather tons better then what plywood does.

Old 08-31-03, 04:01 AM
pougee
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by texaspaul
pougee, it might be a pain to do, but on my personal home, I took the bottom 4ft and used treated plywood. Above that is OSB. The home is Hardie plank and stone. I am glad that you have the forthought to recognize a potential problem. If changing the OSB isn't pratical, I would try one of the UGL products. Maybe they are compatible with wood. I just dont know.
yes it would be a pain...already hurricane strapped! but thanks for suggestion

Old 08-31-03, 04:04 AM
pougee
Visiting Guest
Originally posted by texaspaul
yes it would be a pain...already hurricane strapped! but thanks for suggestion ps. treated plywood has a tendency to delaminate(if it is the pressure treated ) there is a class action suit that was pending not long ago regarding this.

Old 08-31-03, 04:14 AM
pougee
Visiting Guest
Cool thanks

thankyou all for your suggestions,paul

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: