Siding to roof on dormer

Old 09-03-03, 07:32 AM
bfs4
Visiting Guest
Siding to roof on dormer

Since there isn't a siding forum, this hopefully will get my question answered: I can not find in any books the proper way to install clapboard siding upto the slanted roofline of a dormer. Do I double lay the first clapboard row along the roof angle ? That would seem to create an open invitation for water entry coming down the roof. what is the best practice in your mind.

thanks, Bruce

Old 09-03-03, 01:52 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Roof

We use whats called a step shingles. Made out of metal . 5"X7" with 2" turned up at a 90o. One goes under each roof shingle and tight to the dormer wall. Then the clapboard over them. ED

Old 09-03-03, 02:41 PM
bfs4
Visiting Guest
So with the properly installed flashing I should be okay to just run the horizontal claps right back to the roof line without any additional starter runs like I did with on the normal straight wall. Ok I was thinking that that won't be enough, but I tend to overdo it sometimes.
thanks, Bruce

Old 09-04-03, 07:00 AM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
You need to hold the claps off the roof by at least 1/2-3/4 of an inch. I have had to repair many dormers where the siding had no clearance. the cut ends of the claps are a wick and absorb moisture and rot. On the repairs I saturate the cut end with Minwax wood hardener to block the water from penetrating. Priming the backside helps also.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: