Roofing

Old 09-28-03, 09:05 AM
dguillot
Visiting Guest
Roofing

what is the best way to remove a tar & gravel roofing I assume they is a tar paper backing?

Old 09-29-03, 11:36 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Roof

home depot and lowes has a tool like a flat spade like you slide under and lift up like. Its all work. ED

Old 10-02-03, 03:19 PM
Docfletcher
Visiting Guest
Greetings,
You can buy a flat bottom shovel, with a stright rdge accross the bottom. 3 1/2 to 4 ft high is good. Slip it under shingles with authority and pry up. Those shingles and nails will pop up and out like magic ( well sorta like magic ). Be careful of the little stone granuals which will come off the shingles because you can stumble on them as if they were marbles under your feet. Try to find one about 8"- 10" wide.

Don

Last edited by Docfletcher; 10-02-03 at 03:38 PM.
Old 10-02-03, 03:56 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have seen people use anything from a flat shovel to a coal shovel to a pitch fork to remove roofing. Its up to the individual, but i will give you one bit of advice, using something not made to remove roofing means you will land up pulling 90% of the nails with a hammer or crowbar.

Old 10-02-03, 06:29 PM
Docfletcher
Visiting Guest
Well, I've never seen that many left in. I'll admit that you do need to pull many with hammer. For me the main thing is to get the shingles up and into the dumpster or whatever. Pulling nails with a hammer keeps them from going all over. I have always found the shovel to be fastest at getting shingles up. Then again it's been years since I was in the trade.

Doc

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: