Low Pitch roof repair or replace

Old 09-28-03, 07:05 PM
MattG_
Visiting Guest
Low Pitch roof repair or replace

I bought a home built around 1966 about two years ago. It has two very low pitch, built-up roofs. I discovered yesterday that one roof has a hole about 6"x6" near the edge that goes completely through the matting. Also, a few feet away, in the corner of the roof, the matting is pulled loose from the edge and slipped down between the rafters (still covering the rafters, but holding water). No water damage is noticable in the home, so I think these are fairly recent developments. Any suggestions on how to patch these roofs? I presently laid out plastic over a large area and piled some of the gravel on the edges of the plastic, since we have been getting rain in this area.

Secondly, I have noticed that the roofs do not drain water very well. In each corner a hole goes through the roof connecting to downspouts. Water seems to puddle up around the roof edges and drips off the facia, instead of flowing into the holes. The facia came loose in one particulary drippy spot and the wood behind is rotted. The gravel seems to be spread evenly on the roof. Why does it not drain well, how can I reduce the dripping? Does this roof just need maintenance or are they inclined to puddle water and drip? Are there better roofing options that are moderately priced?

Old 09-30-03, 05:53 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I have a garage w/flat roof built against the corner of my house. It looks like there has been settling over the years so water pooled along the house instead of running off through the scupper. Deterioration in the sheathing such as the holes you saw can also cause pooling as well as blisters in the built up roof.

A roofing company recommended fully adhered rubber over a sloped insulation to restore proper drainage. I have not had it done yet but with the adhered system you do not need gravel for ballast which allows easy inspection for problem areas, even though it is not the prettiest roof.

Get some free estimates from local contractors for a better idea on prices and alternatives. Good luck.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: