Old roof Blues! Need a clue!

Old 10-02-03, 07:31 AM
Bill Koehler
Visiting Guest
Question Old roof Blues! Need a clue!

I have 2 roofing issues:
1). The roof over my porch appears to be some strange kit from the 60's that is composed of an aluminum frame and 4 panels. The panels are made with, from top to bottom, a thin layer of painted crinkley aluminum, a layer of masonite, a web of expanded paper about 2 inches thick, another layer of masonite, and a another layer of aluminum all edged with a 1/2" thick piece of wood. Total thickness is 2 1/2" This mess was here when I moved in 10 years ago. Over the years, water seems to have leaked in, and with out 2+ foot snowfall last year, it is starting to fall. Any idea what this is? Are these panels available anywhere? ANY lightweight substitutions?

2) The flat roof on my house has a couple of low spots that can be attributed to rotting tongue and groove underneath. The section in question is at the edge, and is about 8'x8'. I know I need to rip up the roofing material and replace the wood with ply, but what should I use to cover that part of the roof? The current material is what I am guessing to be asphalt roll.

In my case, budget is a real concern. ANY help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Old 10-09-03, 01:05 PM
Caspertg
Visiting Guest
As long as I have been in the roofing industry, I have no idea what kind of system that is. If it is on at least a 4/12 pitch the cheapest solution would be to shingle it.

As for the flat, pull it up, replace the wood, nail a base ply (perma-ply 28 is what we use) and torch a white granular faced capsheet. Make sure you get good bleed out of the bitumus material if you do it yourself. Also, make sure you coat the bleedout with loose granules

Paul

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: