Fascia board, needed?

Old 10-02-03, 12:28 PM
JustSid
Visiting Guest
Fascia board, needed?

Hello everyone,

I bought a new house and it is definitely a fixer upper! I am installing about 60 feet of vinyl gutter across the back porch and was wondering about fascia.

The exposed portion of the wooden porch has no fascia and is open ended with the ends of the 1x6's showing. I can EASILY attach the gutter hangers to the ends of the 1x6's and avoid installing the fascia board.

Is this wise? Do I absolutely need to install fascia to attach this gutter assembly to?

Thanks in advance!

Regards,
Sid

Old 10-02-03, 05:19 PM
JustSid
Visiting Guest
Hmmm, stupid question I guess. I will go out and get the board then

Old 10-02-03, 07:12 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
I WOULDN'T add any fascia board. Of course I wouldn't put up gutters anyway. I hate them, in many cases they do more harm than good. Used to be an FHA requirement but not any more. I've pulled them off every house I've owned the past 15 years, (about 30). Although I have added VERY SMALL bits of gutter for specific areas, usually less than 8 feet.

Frank

Old 10-03-03, 08:56 AM
brickeyee
Visiting Guest
Gutters are a lot more important on houses with basements than slabs. No basement wall is waterproof if enough water piles up outside and tries to get in. Getters are the first line of defense to get the water away from the basement walls.
there is no real reason for a fascia, and I have owned and worked on houses that did not have one. Those houses used gutter brackets that fastened to the roof deck. The rafter tails are end grain and do not hold screws or nails very well. If you install a fascia you can use long enough nails to get resonable strength, and then the gutter brackets are in side grain and can get a good hold there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: